Talking points for rallies
1. Israel is using the situation in Jerusalem as a pretext to implement long-standing plans to divide Al Aqsa, the way they divided Ibrahimi mosque in al-Khalil.
2. Closing the mosque and erecting metal detectors and checkpoints violates international law and restricts Palestinians' right to worship freely.
3. The metal detectors and checkpoints is changing the internationally recognized Status Quo that stipulates that Al Aqsa will be kept strictly for Muslim worship and religious activities.
4. The new tactics imposed by Israel authorities will only inflame tensions in Palestine and the Middle East and eventually could lead to massive unrest in the Muslim world that would destabilize the region and threaten U.S. national interests there.
5. The Israeli occupation is the root cause of all problems in occupied Palestine, including in East Jerusalem, and until the occupation ends events will continue to unfold as we’ve seen before.
6. International law and U.S. policy clearly states that East Jerusalem is occupied territoryUnited Nations Security Council Resolution 2334 categorically recognizes East Jerusalem as being occupied.
7. International law obligates Israel to provide for the quality of life – including the freedom to worship for Palestinian Muslims and Christians – for the people it is occupying.
8. The United States must bring pressure to bear upon Israel through diplomatic, financial and political means to remove the metal detectors and checkpoints and allow Muslims free access to this holy site.
9. The U.S. must ensure Israel abides by the status quo that existed before October 2015, because allowing changes to this long-standing agreement will surely destabilize the region and threaten U.S. national interests.
10. The U.S. must pressure Israel to end the modern world’s longest-lasting military occupation and allow Palestinians their liberty, self-determination and right to return to their homeland.