Turning Tables w/ Chef Suzanne Husseini
Watch Episode 8: Chef Suzanne Husseini cooking a rack of lamb!
About Our Chef
Suzanne Husseini is a bestselling author and host of one of the most popular Arabic cooking shows in the Middle East. Suzanne is a regular chef expert on the nationally syndicated Marilyn Denis Show in Canada and has been featured on shows such as Top Chef and Good Day New York.
Suzanne has two best-selling cookbooks: 'When Suzanne Cooks' and 'Modern Flavors of Arabia,' which was rated as one of the top cookbooks by both The Globe and Mail and The Washington Post. Suzanne's refined Arabian cuisine will inspire you to fill your kitchen with the warm, exotic scents of the Middle East and you'll surprise yourself with how easy it is to create these mouthwatering delicacies at home. Instagram: @suzannehusseini
Herb/Pistachio Crusted Rack of lamb
with Fondant Saffron Potatoes & Seared Cherry Tomatoes on the vine
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours
- 1 (8 bone) rack of lamb, French trimmed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature (P)
- 1/2 cup parsley, washed and dried (P)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, washed and dried (P)
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled (P)
- Zest of 1 lemon (P)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs OR 2 pieces of white toast with the crusts removed
- 1/2 cup raw & shelled pistachios
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Season the rack of lamb with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom skillet.
- Sear the lamb rack on all exposed sides to develop flavor and Maillard reaction. (see Chef’s Tips)
- Set aside the lamb rack to cool while you make the crust.
- In a food processor combine all the herbs and spices and rest of ingredients, except for the pomegranate molasses. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Brush the cooked lamb with the pomegranate molasses.
- Press the crust on the meat side of lamb.
- Cover exposed bones with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Place the crusted lamb to finish cooking in the preheated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until the instant read thermometer reads 130F (54 Celsius) for a medium rare finish
- Tent loosely to rest before cutting to serve.
Fondant saffron potatoes
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and stored in water (P)
- Pinch of saffron
- 3 tbsp clarified butter (P)
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups prepared chicken stock
- Peel and cut potatoes into thick equal slices.
- Heat the butter in a heavy oven safe skillet.
- Cook the potatoes on both sides until golden brown.
- Add in thyme for added flavor.
- Sprinkle in the saffron and pour the chicken stock over potatoes.
- Place the oven safe skillet in a preheated 350 oven to finish cooking through and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve hot with the rack of lamb.
Seared cherry tomatoes
- 2 intact vines with at least 6 cherry tomatoes on them
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a skillet heat the butter and oil on medium
- Place the tomato vines intact to sear and get slightly soft and heat through
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with lamb rack and potatoes.