Don't let Israel get away with murder!
AMP urges supporters to demand justice for American teen Orwah Hammad, killed by IOF
(CHICAGO 10/29/2014) – The American Muslims for Palestine (AMP), a national education and advocacy organization, is urging its supporters and all those who stand for justice, to call the US State Department and demand an independent investigation into the Israeli Occupation Force’s cold-blooded shooting of American teenager Orwah Hammad on Friday.
Orwah, 14, was born in New Orleans, where his father still resides, according to media reports. He was shot in the head as he protested increased settler incursions and incitement in East Jerusalem and the Al Aqsa mosque compound.
The US State Department issued a routine condolence statement, saying it was “closely engaged with local authorities,” who are, in effect, investigating themselves.
This is in marked contrast to a statement it issued on Oct. 22 regarding a three-month-old American girl, who died when a car driven by a Palestinian youth hit a group of pedestrians. We will never know the circumstances surrounding this accident: Depriving him of all due process, Occupation Forces shot and killed the driver, Abed a-Rahman a-Shaludi as he exited his car.
The State Department did not demand due process – a right for all Americans – nor did it wait for any investigation before branding a-Shaludi a ‘terrorist,” and “condemned in the strongest possible terms the terrorist attack in Jerusalem.”
“The disparity in the State Department’s treatment of these two situations is unconscionable,” said AMP Chairman Dr. Hatem Bazian. “While the loss of innocent lives is tragic, we must demand the United States – which has a deplorable record of upholding US citizens’ rights when it comes to Israel – hold Israel accountable for what amounts the murder of Orwah Hammad.”
The Israeli Occupation Forces have killed or severely injured several Americans during its decades-long occupation of Palestine, including Rachel Corrie, Furkan Dogan, 34 members of the USS Liberty and Tristan Anderson. The State Department’s willingness to allow the IOF to investigate itself is unacceptable. Nearly “94 percent of criminal investigations launched by the IDF against soldiers ... are closed without any indictments,” according to Israeli human rights NGO Yesh Din.
We must stand up and demand justice for Orwah! Call the State Department or Email your Congresspeople!
- Call Secretary of State John Kerry at 202.647.5291, then press ‘1’.
- Call the office of Anne W. Patterson, Assistant Secretary of State for Near East Affairs at 202.647.7209.
- Send an email to your elected officials. Don't know who they are? Just submit your zip code on the form and they will be provided for you!
- The United States has a responsibility for its citizens in other countries.
- The State Department must demand an independent investigation into the shooting death of Orwah Hammad and hold the shooter accountable for killing an American citizen.
- US unconditional support of Israel, in the face of its repeated violations of international law and human rights abuses, hurts our standing throughout the world and harms our national security.