CALL TO ACTION - Protect Palestinian-American Researcher Ubai Aboudi from Israeli Military
Ubai Aboudi is a Palestinian-American civilian, father, researcher, educator, director of the Bisan Center for Research and Development who was abducted by Israeli military without charges on November 13, 2019. Ubai was also working to support Scientists for Palestine in organizing the Third International Meeting on Science in Palestine, which took place on January 10-12, 2020, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Ubai was prevented from attending and presenting his own research due to his Israeli military detention.
He was initially held by administrative detention – imprisonment without charge or trial – and then transferred to the Israeli military courts on later manufactured, baseless charges that are routinely imposed on Palestinians.
Despite the fact that Ubai is a U.S. citizen and that the U.S. government provides Israel with $3.8 billion in military aid every year, the U.S. State Department has largely left Ubai and Hind Shraydeh, his wife and the mother of their three children, to suffer alone. Your support is critical in pressuring the State Department to end its silence in the case of Ubai Aboudi and working to ensure his freedom.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND RESOURCES: https://samidoun.net/2020/05/
TAKE THESE ACTION STEPS:
- Demand the U.S. government intercede for Ubai and his freedom. Call and email the U.S. State Department at (202) 647-4000. Calls are best, but if you cannot call, email: [email protected], OFM
[email protected], O [email protected], and [email protected] state.gov.
Further, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, find your Congressional representative here. Use these talking points:
- Israel is currently subjecting U.S. citizen and civilian, Ubai Aboudi, to trial before a military court, without due process, and for recently manufactured charges.
- The U.S. government must immediately intercede to secure Ubai’s immediate and unconditional release, and must reject any charges against Ubai as illegitimate.
- Ubai was interred in an Israeli military center for months without charge under “administrative detention” – along with over 400 fellow Palestinians – until international pressure forced the Israeli military to manufacture charges against him.
- Israel, and its military, is now being investigated for crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court, including for its breach of due process, torture and abduction of Palestinians.
- Israeli military courts convict Palestinian defendants at a rate of 99.76%.
- Israel routinely subjects Palestinians in military detention to mistreatment, including torture.The Israeli military apparatus is estimated to torture over 95% of Palestinians they abduct, including children.
- The US must also impose meaningful sanctions for Israel’s crimes against Palestinians, including over 4,700 Palestinian political prisoners. These crimes include its abduction and torture of Palestinian men, women and children. The U.S. must immediately end its $3.8 billion in annual military aid.
- Ask your organization to endorse this call to action. Please use the form here – visit the link at https://bit.ly/action4ubai.
- Join a social media storm at 10:00 am Pacific time (1:00 pm Eastern time, 5:00 pm UTC, and 8:00 pm Palestine time.) Share content about Ubai with the hashtags #Freedom4Ubai and #
Science4Palestine. Use this handy tweet sheet for suggestions: https://bit.ly/ tweet4ubai